I love dogs!

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The Sun King

The week before the election, homemade yard signs sprung up touting all the local offices out here from Sheriff to County Commission and every obscure post in between. I live on a road with very few neighbors and except for my friend Jane Ann,  I really don't know anyone else out this way.
  So it startled me when my dogs started barking and when I saw the silhouette of a small man standing at my door. "Hello? Mr. Uh..Re..si Resi Dent?" He stammered holding up stack of index cards and peering over his bifocals. "Are you Mr. Dent?" "Who wants to know?" I chuckled. " Sir I'm running for County Supervisor of Records at-large in the District 4 Schools, Roads Revenue , and Billboard Licensing Regulator Office for the Morgan County Vice Commission, and I would like your vote on November 8th." he said with smug assurance. "Well, that's quite a title, I didn't catch your name sir" I said, as I stepped onto the porch. "Oh, excuse me Mr. Dent, I'm Sunny King but people call me Sun." He said proudly, thrusting a business card towards me. " What?" I said, as I put my glasses on "Haha, really? Sun King? Louis the 14th? That's so cool! " No, its Sun, my name is Sun, not Louis!" He replied.
   "I'm running against the incumbent Reid Richards and..."  I stepped back and laughed, "Really? You're running against Mr. Fantastic? The leader of the Fantastic 4?"  He winced and said "I really don't know what youre talking about Mr. Uh.."  "Dent" I said laughing. "Well Mr. Sun King, what is your platform?"  "Oh, of course I'm a Republican! The people of District 4 are fed up with the lazy unemployed welfare mooches!" he asserted. "Let them eat cake!" I told him, with a hearty laugh. "We need to Drain the Swamp!" he said emphatically. "We have a swamp?" I asked, "Why drain the swamp? Where would the tadpoles go? And the swamp water will have to go somewhere if you drain it! I sure don't want you to flood my land with your yucky tadpole muck!"
  "It's not a real swamp, we're just saying that we want to get the incumbent, Mr. Richards-"  "Mr. Fantastic is in the swamp?" I asked. "You don't need to drain the swamp for that! The Thing will save him!"  I explained with a smirk. "Besides, you need to make sure you don't lose your head!  The swamp is the least of your problems. The peasants with the pitchforks are coming! No thanks Louis, I'm not supporting your anti-swamp wetland initiative. And besides- I'm not registered to vote in District 4!"
  So I gave him back his card and turned to go inside, and as I was closing the door, I heard him say "My name is not Louis!" and I replied with a laugh, "And my name isn't  Resident! Say hi to Marie Antoinette for me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dog Burial

The Dog Burial  "Hey what's going on here?" The Patrolman asked. It was around midnight and I was on the roadside out in Ragl...