I love dogs!

Monday, August 24, 2015

Less Talk More Action

There's several archetypes of folks I know or run across that occupy this sphere of activity known as Animal Rescue. 
  One common type I don't indulge are the Armchair Rescue people. Keyboard Commandos that do absolutely nothing to help dogs.They are a blight upon the massive needs at hand for swift assured action. Animal Rescue volunteers aren't Walter Mitty action figures. We don't just share or re-post videos that show abused and neglected dogs as we lounge in the comfort of our suburban breakfast nook over a fresh-brewed Columbian Roast Cappuchino, We aren't the fools who make histrionic pleas in ALL CAPS filled with exclamations!!! while demanding others take action. "SOMEBODY HELP THIS DOG!" I have no patience for the delusional people who surf the Animal Rescue sites for posts about abused or tortured dogs so they can feel important by pleading for others to act. "I'd take the dog myself, but it's so far away from my house, and I just vacuumed the carpet" "Oh, I would go get that dog, but I have allergies" or, "Well, my boyfriend doesn't like dogs." and, "My landlord won't let me keep one here in my tiny apartment". The worse type will post "OMG, the evil killers at this shelter are going to murder this dog tomorrow! Somebody save him!" "Go get that poor baby NOW!" As they cut another slice of coffee cake and flip through the TV channels to see what Jenny Macarthy is wearing today. Helping at-risk animals is not the time-filling activity of bored suburban housewives.This is not a game.
  No, we are activists working ahead of the curve to anticipate situations and be proactive supporters. We have our resources in place and keep a vigilant awareness of our surroundings in order to act swiftly and without hesitation to help end the suffering of at-risk dogs and get them medical help. I am appalled by the lack of involvement by people who see these animals in traffic or chained to a tree, and do nothing. The people who will drive by a stray dog without rendering help are themselves very sick, selfish and dangerous sociopaths. Anyone who will see a dog in danger, but casually hurry on by so they can make their friggin' important business appointment, to me is a mentally deficient and morally corrupt individual.
  My friends on the other hand will risk their own safety to do whatever has to me done to help the dog. Come hell or high water, we jump in and grab the ones on the street or network to line up rescue orgs or get fosters for death-row dogs. We never order people to act if we can just take action ourselves. So when I make disparaging remarks about abusers, I'm not anxious or morbid at the thought of these evil people hurting these animals. There's really no time to dwell on what-ifs when action is needed. All needs are centered on the animal, not our comfort, our finances, our relationships or our clean carpets. Those things don't matter when the safety of an injured or fearful dog is at risk.
  We aren't heroic either. We are only doing what any decent person should do. The question should be, Why are there not more decent people in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dog Burial

The Dog Burial  "Hey what's going on here?" The Patrolman asked. It was around midnight and I was on the roadside out in Ragl...